Homeowners and business owners have a duty of care to remove snow and ice from walkways to prevent winter slip and fall accidents. However, you must be careful when shoveling snow and ice to avoid falling yourself. It is easy to slip and fall as you are trying to clear walkways. Before you begin snow and ice removal this season, read the tips and suggestions below for safe snow and ice removal.
Tips for Avoiding Winter Slip and Falls When Clearing Snow and Ice
- Monitor Weather Conditions –Ice and snow are inevitable winter conditions. However, you can take preventive measures to reduce the amount of shoveling and clearing that you need to perform after a winter storm. Here are some tips for using deicers and anti-icers on sidewalks and driveways from Today’s Homeowner.
- Wear Anti-Slip Footwear – Never go outside to shovel or clear sidewalks unless you are wearing the proper footwear. A pair of anti-slip shoes or anti-slip overshoes should always be worn when clearing snow and ice to prevent winter slip and fall accidents.
- Use Warning Signs – As a property owner, you have a duty to maintain the premises in a safe manner. This includes warning visitors and others of potential danger. Use warning signs and floor mats to prevent winter slip and fall accidents.
- Begin Clearing before the Snow Finishes Falling – You may feel like you are fighting a losing battle; however, if you begin shoveling before the snow finishes falling, you will make the job easier. By keeping the walkway clear during the winter storm, you break the job into a few smaller jobs and, as a result, you will not spend as much time clearing the walkway. You will also not have to work as hard because the snow will not be piled as high each time you shovel.
- Use Snow Blowers – Using snow blowers and other powered equipment will make your job much easier. Make sure that you follow all manufacturers’ instructions to prevent electric shock and injury.
- Use a Snow and Ice Removal Service – If you are dealing with a large area or you have a physical impairment that makes shoveling snow difficult or dangerous, consider using a snow and ice removal service. Professionals have equipment to make the job safer and quicker.
Experienced Denver, CO, Slip and Fall Attorney
Slip and fall accidents result in severe and traumatic injuries each winter. A slip and fall accident can result in medical conditions that change your life forever. If your fall was due to another party’s negligence, recklessness, or carelessness, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your lost wages and medical expenses. You may also be entitled to compensation for your emotional suffering and physical pain.
Contact The Law Offices of Dianne L. Sawaya LLC to speak with a Denver slip and fall attorney. We are available by telephone 24/7 at 303-758-4777 or through our website. The insurance company for the property owner may try to blame you for the winter slip and fall accident; therefore, you need an attorney experienced in handling this type of personal injury to represent you and fight for your right to receive a fair and just settlement.