Click to navigate this page:Toggle
What Should I Do Following a Car Accident in Erie, Colorado?
If you’ve been involved in a car accident, you may be severely injured, perhaps unable to work and unsure of what you need to do to protect your future. While it is normal to feel overwhelmed, frustrated or even angry, it is important that you speak to an Erie car accident attorney as quickly as possible. When you have a strong legal advocate from the Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya on your side, the at-fault driver’s insurance will automatically give you more respect. You will be allowed to heal from your injuries, while your attorney fights for a full and fair settlement.
It cannot be overstated how important it is to have an Erie car accident attorney working on your behalf following your accident. Insurance companies typically will resist paying what a claim is worth in order to increase their financial bottom line. In fact, most insurance companies are masters at denying, delaying, and undervaluing claims. Unfortunately, many people injured in a car accident are so desperate that they will accept the first offer made by the insurance company. They may not realize that the offer is woefully small and will not cover their injuries and damages, or they may simply not know that the amount can be negotiated.
Car accidents are, unfortunately, a fact of life. Even so, you do not need to suffer needlessly. Handing over the burden of trying to convince the insurance company to pay what your claim is worth can be a huge relief. You can then concentrate on yourself, your family, and getting your life back to normal.
Helping the injured in Colorado for over 25 years.
Do you have a case? Get your free case review now.
When we take your case, you are our priority.
How Can an Erie Car Accident Attorney from the Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya Help?
Choosing an Erie car accident attorney can seem like an overwhelming task at a time when you are already feeling stretched to the breaking point. You need a law firm that is highly respected by clients and other lawyers alike. The Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya is that law firm.
Attorney Dianne Sawaya has been helping individuals in Denver and the surrounding areas for more than two decades. Dianne never hesitates to go up against a big insurance company and fight for the money you need and deserve. Dianne’s entire legal team believes strongly in a client-centric practice, always putting the client first. The Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya:
- Have more than 200 positive Google reviews
- Bring a smart, aggressive, compassionate legal team to the table
- Maximize your settlement
- We offer 100% free consultations
- Will help you get the medical treatments you need
- Charge no fee unless they secure a recovery
Call us today for a free, no-obligation consultation. We will listen to you and answer all your questions in an easy-to-understand manner. We will help you determine whether you have a car accident claim, and, if so, what damages you can expect from a claim.
About Erie, Colorado
Erie is a statutory town located in Boulder and Weld Counties, with a population of about 31,000. Located west of I-25, Erie is about 35 minutes from the Denver International airport, and about 20 minutes from Boulder. Before the 1870s and the development of the northern coal fields. Settlers in the Erie area were farmers or merchants. Stagecoaches delivered freight, mail, and passengers throughout the 1860s. The Overland Stage traveled from Denver to Laramie every day, following approximately the same route as today’s Highway 287.
Once the railroad came to Erie in 1871, contact between towns and families improved, and the town of Erie was incorporated in 1874. Briggs Mine was established as the first commercial coal mine in the Erie area. Coal mining was the most significant industry in Colorado during the nineteenth and early twentieth century as the statewide coal industry grew stronger and stronger. As such, Erie became the most important coal town in the state.
Today, residents enjoy the beauty of Erie, along with its small-town feel. The Luvin Arms Animal Sanctuary, along with the Industrial Revolution Brewing Company are popular with residents and tourists alike. Anderson Farms is an agricultural/entertainment venue offering lots of family fun. This includes hayrides to the pumpkin patch, a corn maze, pedal carts, gem mining, and—for the more adventurous—Terror in the Corn, a haunted hayride and ghost town. As with those in any town or city, car accidents happen to Erie residents, who then need assistance from an experienced Erie car accident attorney.
What Injuries Are Common Following a Car Accident?
While the injuries you sustain in your car accident will be unique to you and to your accident, there are certain injuries that occur more often in car accidents. These include:
- Soft tissue injuries are among the most common type of injury resulting from a car accident. Soft tissue injuries include whiplash, as the impact of the accident causes your neck to move in ways it was not meant to, “snapping” forward, then back violently. The muscles and ligaments are stretched, torn, and strained during such an impact. Whiplash is an extremely painful injury that can cause neck pain, back pain, headaches, and more symptoms for weeks, even months. Unfortunately, because a soft tissue injury like whiplash does not necessarily show up on imaging tests, it can be harder to prove.
- Bruising, contusions, cuts, and scrapes are all common injuries sustained in car accidents. While requiring medical attention, these injuries are rarely serious and generally heal within a couple of weeks.
- Like whiplash, neck and back injuries are commonly seen following a car accident. Herniations or ruptured discs can occur and can be serious, painful injuries that can limit your mobility. In some cases, the back injuries are more severe, including spinal cord injuries that can lead to paraplegia or quadriplegia.
- Head injuries including concussions and more serious traumatic brain injuries can occur when the head strikes a hard object during the collision, or when the head is punctured by a sharp object during the collision. While mild concussions generally resolve on their own, more serious concussions and traumatic brain injuries can cause long-lasting, even permanent health issues and disabilities.
- Broken bones and internal injuries are often seen following a serious car accident. It is important to be checked out by a medical professional because you may not be aware you have internal injuries and internal bleeding. While broken bones usually mend, they can cause difficulty with work and mobility.
- Mental and emotional issues, including PTSD, can also result from car accidents. After a traumatic car accident, those involved may be afraid to drive or even leave their home. They may have anxiety, sleep issues, or nightmares.
What if I Was Partially at Fault for the Car Accident?
In the state of Colorado, even if you were partially at fault for a car accident (but less than 49 percent at fault), you can still file a claim for damages against the other driver. This is known as modified comparative fault. Suppose you were driving over the speed limit, and another driver ran a red light and hit you. The other driver would be mostly at fault, but you might be assigned some of the fault as well.
The percentage of fault you are assigned reduces your settlement by that amount. It is important to discuss this with your attorney before you make any decisions. It may turn out that you are not at fault at all and are entitled to the full settlement.
How Long Will My Car Accident Claim Take—and How Long Before I Receive My Check?
Once you treatment has concluded, your Commerce City car accident attorney has negotiated a fair, full settlement on your behalf, and you have signed off on it, Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya will make every effort to get you your settlement check as soon as possible. These back-and-forth negotiations usually take a few months until an agreement is reached. If the insurance company simply will not agree to a fair settlement, your attorney may file a lawsuit against the company. Because courts are so backed up, it could take a year or so to get a court date.
Often, however, once the lawsuit is filed, the insurance company is more willing to agree to a settlement because they recognize a lawsuit will cost them more. In some instances, the insurance company may even go through a trial, only to settle before the verdict if they think the jury will award you even more. Once a settlement is reached, Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya will make every effort to get you your settlement check as soon as possible.
How an Erie Car Accident Attorney from the Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya Can Help
A car accident can alter your life in many different ways—sometimes forever. Through no fault of your own, you are suddenly facing injuries, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering. The insurance company may be dragging its feet, offering you a lowball settlement, or denying your claim altogether. Attorney Dianne Sawaya can be an invaluable resource during this difficult time. Dianne and her legal team will work with the insurance company, forcing them to honor their obligation to pay for your injuries and other damages. Dianne is both a skilled negotiator and a tough litigator who never hesitates to go up against a big insurance company, making them pay you the settlement you deserve. When you need experience you can trust, contact the Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya.