Personal Injury Attorney in Aurora, Colorado
If you’ve been injured due to the wrongful actions or negligence of another individual or entity, you may be entitled to file an Aurora, CO personal injury claim. Following an accident caused by another, you may see your medical expenses accumulating in an alarming manner. You may be unable to return to work due to your injuries, therefore, are unable to pay your basic monthly expenses. You may no longer be able to enjoy your life as you did prior to the accident. All of these are elements of a personal injury claim.
Helping the injured in Colorado for over 25 years.
Do you have a case? Get your free case review now.
When we take your case, you are our priority.
A personal injury claim is usually started when a person has suffered physical and/or emotional harm due to the negligent, malicious, or reckless behavior of another. If you are entitled to receive compensation as a result of your injuries, that compensation might cover medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. A personal injury claim might be filed in any of the following examples:
- A negligent driver cut you off, causing you to have an accident;
- Your local grocery store left a spill for several hours, you suffered a slip and fall with injuries as a result;
- You were invited to a bridal shower, but when you stepped inside the yard, an aggressive dog attacked you, resulting in serious injury;
- You were exposed to asbestos and now have mesothelioma
- You were exposed to RoundUp and have received a diagnosis of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
These are just a few examples of personal injuries that can result in a personal injury claim with resulting damages.
Why Choose Aurora Personal Injury Attorney, Dianne Sawaya?
Aurora, CO personal injury attorney, Dianne Sawaya has thousands of satisfied clients and more than 180 positive Google reviews. Our legal team is smart, aggressive, and compassionate. We will work hard to maximize your settlement, offering a one hundred percent free consultation. If we do not recover money on your behalf, there will be no attorney fee. Not only will we help you achieve the settlement you need and deserve, but we will also help you get the medical treatment you need to recover from your injuries.
If you are looking for help with an accident with injuries, the Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya can help. We understand that you are anxious and stressed about your injuries and your future. We also understand that your finances may be in disarray due to your medical expenses and lost wages We will seek the maximum level of damages on your behalf because we really care about you, your family, and your future.
What Are the Common Injuries Resulting from a Personal Injury?
Some of the more common injuries resulting from a personal injury accident include:
- Car accidents can result in a wide variety of injuries, including broken bones, cuts and bruises, neck and back injuries, injuries to the internal organs, traumatic brain injury, burns, and spinal cord injuries.
- Motorcycle accidents can result in road rash so severe as to cause massive infection, and motorcyclists and bicyclists involved in an accident without a helmet can experience severe traumatic brain trauma, paraplegia, or quadriplegia.
- Slip and fall accidents can be deceptively dangerous, causing injuries to the neck, back, arms, legs, shoulders, nerves, and head. Slip and fall injuries often result in hip fractures and brain injuries.
- Medical malpractice can also result in a wide variety of injuries, from surgical mistake injuries, birth injuries, misdiagnosis injuries, pharmacy error injuries, or injuries from improper treatment.
- Product liability claims can occur when a product that a consumer assumes is safe turns out to be defective or dangerous, causing serious injury.
- Construction injuries are fairly common, and often involve falls, or a falling item hitting an individual in the head or body.
- An aggressive dog or cat can cause serious breaks in the skin and are particularly dangerous when a dog bites a victim in the face, causing disfigurement.
How Do Personal Injury Claims Work in Colorado?
Once you speak to an Aurora personal injury attorney, he or she, such as and experience attorney like Dianne Sawaya, will determine what your claim is worth, then will negotiate with the insurance company. These negotiations may go back and forth for a while. Your attorney wants to get you the largest settlement possible, and the insurance company wants to pay you as little as possible.
Despite television commercials that portray insurance companies as your “friend,” in fact, they are businesses that care much more about their financial bottom line than your future. If no mutually agreeable settlement can be reached, your attorney will file a lawsuit against the insurance company.
Many personal injury cases settle before the lawsuit is filed, but if your claim is not settled, then there will be a trial before a judge or jury who will decide whether you are entitled to damages, and, if so, how much.
What are Damages in an Aurora Personal Injury Claim?
If your injuries were the result of negligence, you may be entitled to damages for your injuries, both physical and emotional. Your settlement amount will depend on the cause of your accident, the circumstances surrounding the accident, and the extent of your injuries. You may be entitled to one or more of the following:
- Medical Expenses — You are entitled to all medical expenses, including ambulance fees, emergency room costs, physician costs, prescription medication costs, costs for rehabilitative therapies and surgical procedures, and any other medical expenses resulting from your accident. Medical expenses can also involve long-term injuries or permanent disability.
- Lost Wages — You may have been unable to work for a while following your accident with injuries. If so, you are entitled to lost wages. In some cases, your injuries may be so severe you will not be able to return to work for a very long time—or forever. If this is the case, you may be entitled to receive lost future wages based on your current position, your education, and your likelihood of advancement.
- Pain and Suffering — Medical bills and lost income are considered economic damages since they are quantifiable or can be assigned a specific dollar amount. As an example, your medical expenses have an assigned dollar figure in the form of bills from your provider. Other damages can be more difficult to quantify because they are more subjective. Pain and suffering may include physical pain, as well as mental anguish suffered from the accident like sleeplessness, anxiety, depression, and PTSD.
- Punitive Damages — Punitive damages are awarded in cases where the defendant acted in a malicious or reckless manner or acted deliberately. If a drunk driver was responsible for your injuries, punitive damages might be in order as they are meant to punish the defendant and deter similar behavior from others.
Colorado law allows for recovery for all the above, however, there is a cap on the amount recoverable for non-economic damages. Colorado caps non-economic loss at $250,000, plus inflation, although the court can increase the award to no more than $500,000 if it finds clear and convincing evidence. Medical malpractice claims have a cap on non-economic damages of $300,000, with a total cap of $1 million. For those plaintiffs that have suffered a permanent physical impairment, there is no cap on pain and suffering damages.
How Long Does It Take to Receive a Settlement Check?
Although the time it takes to receive a settlement check following a settlement agreement or a judge or jury decision can vary significantly, you will usually receive your check within weeks. Your Aurora personal injury attorney will be able to give you a good idea of when you can expect your settlement check.
Why Do I Need a Personal Injury Attorney in Aurora?
Although you could handle your Aurora, CO personal injury claim on your own; however, unless you have significant experience with the law, the time to negotiate with your insurance company, and you are comfortable in front of a judge and jury, it is far better to allow an experienced attorney to do what they do best—negotiate and litigate. You deserve time to heal from your injuries without worrying about whether the insurance company will pay for your damages. At the Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya, we want you to focus on getting better while we work toward a settlement that will fully cover your injuries and other damages.
How Can an Aurora Personal Injury Attorney from the Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya Help with Your Injury Claim?
At the Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya, we are smart, aggressive, and compassionate to your situation. We can make the most educated decisions regarding your treatment and situation because we are familiar with medical treatments and medical providers. Our team works together, pooling all our knowledge for your benefit. We understand the emotional issues you are facing following your accident. This is a tumultuous time as you deal with the aftermath of your accident and injuries. If you are wondering what you should expect from your personal injury claim, as well as how long it will take, or what settlement you can expect, we will answer all your questions in a comprehensive, thorough manner. Attorney Dianne Sawaya and her team are ready and able to help you get the compensation you need and deserve. Contact the Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya today.