Car Accident Attorney in Aurora, CO
According to carinsurance.com, Colorado ranked #46 in 2021 for worst drivers in the United States. Only Arizona, New Jersey, Mississippi, Louisiana, and California have worse drivers than Colorado. About 13.3 percent of Colorado’s drivers are uninsured, and there are 1.17 traffic fatalities per one hundred million vehicle miles traveled. A whopping 70 percent of the roads in Colorado are considered “poor or mediocre,” which is a contributor to car accidents.
Colorado drivers rank among the top five worst states for driving on an invalid license and failure to obey traffic signals. Following a car accident, would it benefit you to speak to an Aurora, CO car accident attorney? We believe it would!
If you have been injured in an Aurora, CO car accident, you could be left with serious injuries that could take months, years, or a lifetime to overcome. You may be struggling to get the medical treatments you need, and you could also be unable to return to your job and make a living. If you should find yourself in this position, your best course of action is to contact an Aurora, CO car accident attorney from the Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya. Dianne will be the advocate in your corner you desperately need, fighting for your right to an equitable settlement from the at-fault party.
Helping the injured in Colorado for over 25 years.
Do you have a case? Get your free case review now.
When we take your case, you are our priority.
Why Choose Aurora, CO Car Accident Attorney Dianne Sawaya?
There are certainly many Aurora, CO car accident attorneys to choose from, but if you want someone who believes in you and truly cares about your future, Dianne Sawaya is the attorney for you. Dianne knows that money will not change the fact that you were injured in an accident, but it can help you get the treatment you need, pay your bills when you are unable to work, and pay you for your pain and suffering related to the accident. Dianne understands that you are stressed, anxious, frustrated, even angry about the negligence that caused your car accident. She is ready to help you through this difficult time in your life, working hard for the best outcome possible.
The Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya have many positive Google reviews from satisfied clients. Dianne is smart, aggressive, and compassionate, always seeking to maximize the settlement you need and deserve. We offer a 100% free consultation—always. If there is no recovery for your car accident claim, you pay no attorney fee. We can help you get the medical treatments you need in order to heal from your injuries. If you are looking for a compassionate, experienced, well-respected Aurora, Colorado car accident attorney, the team at the Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya will take a personal approach, working for you and your family.
What Factors are Involved in Most Car Accidents?
Every car accident in Aurora, CO as well as those throughout the state is unique. Car accidents do, however, generally share one or more contributing factors. One of the drivers—or possibly both—may have done something to cause the accident. The most likely factors involved in a car accident include:
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued driving
- Exceeding the speed limit
- Driving aggressively
Distracted driving covers a wide range of dangerous behaviors. Cell phone use, fiddling with the GPS, radio, or other car controls, turning around to see what the children are doing in the back seat, eating, and talking to passengers are the most common types of distracted driving.
While all of these behaviors are dangerous, one that we rarely hear about is how distracting children can be when you are the only adult in the car. Surveys show that children are four times as distracting to drivers than adult passengers, and infants are eight times more distracting. The greater number of children in the car, the higher the likelihood of a crash. Having unrestrained pets in the vehicle is also a significant distraction—so having children and pets in the vehicle can be a recipe for disaster.
Aggressive driving behaviors include “racing,” weaving in and out of traffic, following other vehicles too closely (tailgating), crossing double yellow lines to pass, failure to move for an emergency vehicle, ignoring traffic signs and lights, and passing stopped vehicles. Fatigued driving can be almost as dangerous as impaired driving, as being overly fatigued significantly lowers your reaction times.
What are Catastrophic Injuries Stemming from a Car Accident?
While many injuries resulting from an Aurora, CO car accident can be serious, taking months or even years to recover from, catastrophic injuries are usually those considered life-threatening, or those that can alter the victim’s life forever. A catastrophic injury can prevent the survivor of a car accident from ever working again and is likely to result in years—or a lifetime—of rehabilitation, surgical interventions, and medical treatments. The most common type of catastrophic injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries — Traumatic brain injuries can not only change the cognitive functioning of an individual, but they can also change their basic personality and emotional responses. Survivors of traumatic brain injury may need to spend years in rehabilitation and therapy, with many needing to re-learn basic skills.
- Severe burns — Third and fourth-degree burns are those that are life-threatening and cover a large portion of the body. All layers of the skin, along with the tissue beneath, are affected in third and fourth-degree burns. The victim of severe burns may require many skin grafts, plastic surgery, and rehabilitative therapies and may suffer permanent nerve damage.
- Severe internal organ damage — in a very bad car accident, victims may suffer severe internal bleeding or organ damage like ruptured kidneys or liver. This can result in months or years of surgical interventions and medical treatments and can also lead to permanent impairment.
- Spinal cord injuries — A severe spinal cord injury can result in an inability to move muscles and limbs below the injury site. This means the victim of a severe spinal cord injury could spend the remainder of his or her life in a wheelchair as a paraplegic or quadriplegic. This level of spinal cord injury can require assistance for the victim in many areas.
- Limb amputations — While car accidents often cause bone fractures, in some cases, crush injuries can require amputation of an arm or leg. This can lead to a lifetime of limited mobility, pain, and nerve damage.
What are the Potential Damages in an Aurora, CO Car Accident Claim?
If the other driver in your car accident was clearly negligent, you may be entitled to the following damages:
- Medical expenses: You are entitled to reimbursement for medical expenses you have already paid, plus future medical expenses related to your injuries stemming from the car accident. Your emergency room costs, physician costs, prescription medication costs, and ongoing rehabilitation costs are all damages you can claim in your Aurora, CO car accident claim.
- Lost wages and lost future wages: If you were unable to return to work for a few days or weeks following your accident, you are entitled to reimbursement for lost wages. If you may not be able to return to work for months, years, or forever, you may be entitled to receive lost future wages as well.
- Pain and suffering: This relates to the non-tangible ways you have suffered following your accident. It can include physical pain, as well as emotional trauma. Perhaps you need psychological counseling to work through issues related to your car accident, including anxiety and depression.
- Damages to your vehicle: You are entitled to recover damages for your vehicle, returning it to approximately the same condition it was in prior to the collision, or replacing it with a similar vehicle.
Is Colorado an At-Fault State?
Until 2003, Colorado was a no-fault state, but since that time it has been an at-fault state regarding car accidents. This means that when you have a car accident in which you were not at fault, rather than filing a claim with your own insurance company, you will file with the at-fault driver’s insurance. If the at-fault driver does not have vehicle insurance, you will need to check your own insurance to determine whether you purchased uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. If you did, then you will file your accident with your own insurance, although your insurer may sue the at-fault party to recoup their losses.
Why Do I Need an Aurora, CO Car Accident Attorney?
If you’ve suffered an accident in Aurora, you may decide to handle it on your own. Unless you were not injured and your vehicle is not severely damaged, this is rarely a good idea. Generally speaking, those that are legally represented obtain much larger settlements, usually quicker than those who represent themselves. Car accident attorneys are well-versed in dealing with insurance companies, negotiating a fair settlement, or defending you at trial. Insurance companies immediately respect your injuries and your claim more when an experienced attorney is involved. Further, you need to be spending your time healing from your injuries and getting your life back on track. Your Aurora, CO car accident attorney will handle all the legal details on your behalf, giving you that time.
How Can the Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya Help with Your Aurora, CO Car Accident Claim?
Attorney Dianne Sawaya is a highly experienced Aurora car accident attorney who will represent your interests fully and completely. The legal team at the Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya will explain every part of the process to you in a comprehensive, easy-to-understand way. We want to ensure you fully understand your options, and what we believe is the best way to move forward, securing a fair settlement on your behalf. As a respected, knowledgeable, compassionate Aurora car accident attorney, Dianne Sawaya and her team will fight aggressively for your rights.
We truly care about you, your family, and your future and will do everything in our power to negotiate an equitable settlement. While we are highly skilled negotiators, we are also entirely comfortable taking your case to trial if necessary. We know this is an emotional time for you—you are healing, coping with your new normal, and likely very worried about finances. When you hire The Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya, you can give a large portion of your burden to us, giving you some breathing room to heal. Contact the Law Offices of Dianne Sawaya today!