In 2011, the Colorado Supreme Court affirmed a $15 million judgment awarded to a woman who fell at a Greeley Walmart. The superstore had appealed the jury verdict; however, it was upheld by the court. Slip and fall accidents can cause severe, traumatic injuries. You can suffer permanent disability from a slip and fall accident. Therefore, it is in your best interest to know what to do if you slip and fall in any store or commercial setting.
Steps to Take after a Slip and Fall Accident
- Seek immediate medical attention. Your health is the most important thing; therefore, seek medical attention immediately after a slip and fall accident regardless of the location. If you cannot move, have someone call for emergency medical services. If you are able to move and you feel your injuries do not require EMS, see your family doctor as soon as possible. Even if you do not believe you are suffering from a serious injury, the aches and pains you feel may be an indication of a much more serious medical condition.
- Preserve your clothing and shoes. Put the clothing and shoes you were wearing at the time of the slip and fall accident in a sealed bag for your attorney. This may be needed as evidence in your claim.
- Report the accident. Report the slip and fall accident to the property owner and/or manager or supervisor. Request a copy of the written accident report before you leave the store. Obtain the name(s) of all managers and supervisors notified of the slip and fall accident.
- Take photographs of the accident scene. If you cannot take photographs, ask someone to take them for you. The store will likely correct the hazardous condition that caused your slip and fall accident; therefore, having pictures of the scene as it was when you fell is very important.
- Obtain eyewitness information. If anyone witnessed the fall, ask for names and contact information for each person. Eyewitness testimony is very helpful in a slip and fall case.
- Begin a journal. Take photographs of your injuries and begin writing in a journal. Make notes of what doctors say, how the injuries limit your normal activities, your pain level, and your state of mind. This information will help your attorney as he or she begins preparing a settlement offer to present to the store.
- Contact a Denver slip and fall attorney immediately. The store’s attorneys and insurance company will begin an investigation immediately to try to mitigate its liability. Their goal is to pay you as little as possible for your slip and fall claim. You need to even the playing field by hiring an experienced slip and fall lawyer who will aggressively pursue the retail store to ensure you receive the maximum compensation allowable under Colorado’s personal injury laws.
Contact The Law Offices of Dianne L. Sawaya LLC
We have the knowledge, skill, resources, and experience you need to fight the retail store in a slip and fall accident. Call our office 24/7 at 303-758-4777 or contact us online. Your health and well-being are our top priority. The retail store will not put your best interest first—we will.