In Colorado, we rely on our state troopers to serve and protect our citizens, roadways, and public spaces. The Law Offices of Dianne L. Sawaya LLC are grateful for the service of these men and women, and wish them nothing but safety as they uphold the law in the Denver area and across the state.
In a very unfortunate accident on Sept. 1, 2015, a suspected drunk driver on I-25 hit a Colorado State Trooper. This crash came just days after another law enforcement officer, a member of the Denver police force, was struck just miles away on the same interstate.
The state trooper was executing a routine traffic stop on the shoulder of the interstate when a drunk driver smashed into the back of his cruiser. The intoxicated operator then tried to flee the scene on foot, but was later captured by Adams County deputies.
The hit-and-run occurred at 5 a.m. on the northbound shoulder of I-25, near 51st Avenue, as reported by TheDenverChannel.com.
Colorado Highway Safety
At The Law Offices of Dianne L. Sawaya LLC, we’d like to take this opportunity to discuss steps you and your family can take to increase your safety on Denver roadways.
The tragic injury of this state trooper is a reminder that drunk drivers are an unfortunate reality on our roads—even at 5 a.m. on a Tuesday.
Here are some quick tips to keep you safe and alert:
- Be well rested. Lack of sleep causes slow responsiveness and alertness behind the wheel, similar to the effects of alcohol impairment.
- Use caution in work zones. Road construction workers, law enforcement officers, and mowing crews are all vital to keeping our roads drivable. Give them the respect they deserve by slowing down in areas where they are working on the shoulder.
- Don’t follow another vehicle too closely. By keeping a safe distance, you will have more time to react in the event of unexpected braking by the vehicle in front of you.
- If you have car trouble, pull as far off the road as possible.
- If you plan on drinking, designate a driver who won’t drink. Alcohol impairment slows your reaction time and impairs your judgment behind the wheel.
Contact The Law Offices of Dianne L. Sawaya LLC
If you have more questions about highway safety in the Denver area, reach out to a team of trusted car accident injury attorneys for guidance. Our team is knowledgeable, accessible, and can answer your questions.